Blockchain Startup Blockstack Raises a Whopping $23 Million In SEC-Qualified Reg A+ Token Offering
More than 4,500 individuals and entities participated and ponied up more than USD$23 million in the first US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) qualified and regulated Regulation A+ token offering issued by Blockstack PBC (including both their SEC-qualified token offering and investors outside the United States made under Regulation S).
- Hacker News
Major investors include Union Square Ventures, Lux Capital, Recruit Holdings, Arrington XRP Capital, Hashkey Group, Fenbushi Capital, Frontier Ventures, Spartan Group, and various other funds.
Blockstack PBC, a public benefit corporation at the heart of the Blockstack ecosystem, is headquartered in New York City, with a globally distributed team that includes computer scientists from Princeton, Stanford, MIT and other top universities.
After four years of research and development, they have deployed the initial version of their full-stack computing platform that they say can scale blockchain-based apps to millions of users today.
- Founded in 2013 at Princeton
- $50M+ in funding
- 4 years of research & development
- 7,000+ active developers and enthusiasts
- 100+ apps launched on Blockstack
From the Blockstack Blog:
“One of our goals for working with regulators in the United States was to open up our network to a broader audience. We wanted to reach more retail investors who can be users of the Blockstack network. These users have a financial stake in the success of our ecosystem. We’re proud to deliver on our commitment to permit early community members who tried participating in 2017 but did not reach the wealth or income requirements for “Accredited Investor” status. These early community members were able to participate now at the same price as the 2017 Regulation D offering to Accredited Investors.”
“Building and testing privacy-centric technology should be a process that is open to everyone. We have now welcomed thousands of new contributors to our ecosystem as Stacks owners.”
But it was not just US investors, they also attracted strategic investors from Asia which was a key goal of their token offering.
“We announced earlier that Hashkey and SNZ led our Asia strategic round. Recruit, one of the largest internet companies in Japan, partnered for the Japanese market. And we are in discussions with international investors for an additional $5M+ which may be distributed in a separate private placement or in a follow-on SEC-qualified offering, as we have previously disclosed in our SEC filings. The goal of this additional distribution is to continue growing our community and network in Asia.”
Following the distribution of the tokens, which is expected to occur in 30 days, Blockstack PBC plans to use funds from the 2019 token offerings to fuel further growth of the Blockstack decentralized computing network. This includes supporting user acquisition efforts, creating educational and marketing materials, supporting community events, expanding into potential new territories, and more. Guess what…. They are hiring!
- Hacker News
About Richard Kastelein
Founder and publisher of industry publication Blockchain News (EST 2015), a partner at ICO services collective Token.Agency ($750m+ and 90+ ICOs and STOs), director of education company Blockchain Partners (Oracle Partner) – Vancouver native Richard Kastelein is an award-winning publisher, innovation executive and entrepreneur. He sits on the advisory boards of some two dozen Blockchain startups and has written over 1500 articles on Blockchain technology and startups at Blockchain News and has also published pioneering articles on ICOs in Harvard Business Review and Venturebeat. Irish Tech News put him in the top 10 Token Architects in Europe.
Kastelein has an Ad Honorem – Honorary Ph.D. and is Chair Professor of Blockchain at China‘s first Blockchain University in Nanchang at the Jiangxi Ahead Institute of Software and Technology. In 2018 he was invited to and attended University of Oxford’s Saïd Business School for Business Automation 4.0 programme. Over a half a decade experience judging and rewarding some 1000+ innovation projects as an EU expert for the European Commission’s SME Instrument programme as a startup assessor and as a startup judge for the UK government’s Innovate UK division.
Kastelein has spoken (keynotes & panels) on Blockchain technology in Amsterdam, Antwerp, Barcelona, Beijing, Brussels, Bucharest, Dubai, Eindhoven, Gdansk, Groningen, the Hague, Helsinki, London (5x), Manchester, Minsk, Nairobi, Nanchang, Prague, San Mateo, San Francisco, Santa Clara (2x), Shanghai, Singapore (3x), Tel Aviv, Utrecht, Venice, Visakhapatnam, Zwolle and Zurich.
He is a Canadian (Dutch/Irish/English/Métis) whose writing career has ranged from the Canadian Native Press (Arctic) to the Caribbean & Europe. He’s written occasionally for Harvard Business Review, Wired, Venturebeat, The Guardian and Virgin.com, and his work and ideas have been translated into Dutch, Greek, Polish, German and French. A journalist by trade, an entrepreneur and adventurer at heart, Kastelein’s professional career has ranged from political publishing to TV technology, boatbuilding to judging startups, skippering yachts to marketing and more as he’s travelled for nearly 30 years as a Canadian expatriate living around the world. In his 20s, he sailed around the world on small yachts and wrote a series of travel articles called, ‘The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Seas’ travelling by hitching rides on yachts (1989) in major travel and yachting publications. He currently lives in Groningen, Netherlands where he’s raising three teenage daughters with his wife and sailing partner, Wieke Beenen.
- Blockchain Startup Blockstack Raises a Whopping $23 Million In SEC-Qualified Reg A+ Token Offering – September 12, 2019
- France Vows to Block Facebook Libra Cryptocurrency in Europe – September 12, 2019
- R3 and Mastercard Team Up Mastercard to Build Overseas Payments System Build on Blockchain – September 12, 2019
- ConsenSys Officially Joins Hyperledger Project – Adding Public Blockchain Capability to Hyperledger – September 11, 2019
- Telegram Open Network Labs Releases Development Suite for TON Blockchain – September 11, 2019
- Whale Alert: USD One Billion+ BTC Was Transferred in One Transaction Last Week – September 11, 2019
- New Professional API Trading Program AlgoX Prime API Launched by eToroX – September 11, 2019
- Bitcoin.com’s Roger Ver Steps in to Operate Node on Cryptographer David Chaum’s New Elixxer Project – September 11, 2019
- Seychelles Heats Up With a First for a National Stock Exchange – MERJ Exchange Goes Live with Tokenized IPO – September 10, 2019
- Computing Legend Steve Wozniak To Launch Blockchain Energy Project – EFFORCE – September 10, 2019
- Hollywood Star Wesley Snipes To Tokenize $25 Million USD Movie Fund with Liechtenstein Blockchain Innovator LCX – September 9, 2019
- Netki Extends TransactID Solution For FATF “Travel Rule” Compliance – September 9, 2019
- Market Demand For Sophisticated Crypto Trading Methods Drives Singapore’s Broctagon Fintech Group To New Heights – Pushing Them Past $5 million – September 5, 2019
- London-based Custodian For Digital Assets, Copper, Reach $500m In Transactions In Just Three Months – September 5, 2019
- UN Meeting: Gibraltar Lawyers Call For A Global Regulatory Framework For Cryptocurrencies – September 4, 2019
- Michael Terpin’s BitAngels Investor Network Partners with Bitcoin Bay to Expand Blockchain Investment Ecosystem in Toronto, Canada – September 3, 2019
- Coinanalyst Launches Socializer – New Communication Tool – September 3, 2019
- Shanghai Blockchain Week Returns for Fifth Consecutive Year to Discuss the Next Decade of the Blockchain Industry – September 3, 2019
- ICO that Raised $37M in 18 minutes – Monetha – Passes Legal Audit on White Paper Commitments with Flying Colours – September 2, 2019
- Roger Ver from Bitcoin.com and Pangea Blockchain Fund Invest 4 million Euro into Crypto Payment Startup Eligma – September 2, 2019
View All Articles
Also published on Medium.
If reproduced, please indicate the source: https://www.uucj.net/blockchain-startup-blockstack-raises-a-whopping-23-million-in-sec-qualified-reg-a-token-offering/